These are the results of our vinegar experiment. It is useable and we have a lot of mother of vinegar as well.
I did some research and found that I needed to cover it in the fridge to store it, which I did. I also re-strained it because there was more “mother” in the vinegar. I then covered the mother with some of the vinegar and put it back in the fridge.
This was what was suggested by the info I found online.
If you look back at the pictures in my last post about vinegar, you can see there is a definite change in colour of the liquid. It has darkened quite a bit. Also, it seems that all of the vinegar is continually producing mother of vinegar if left long enough, which is OK from what I have learned.
I ended up with two cups of useable vinegar. Right now I am giving it to the dogs by the teaspoon with their meals, as it has benefits for them as well.
All in all the vinegar experiment was successful and I am looking forward to making a larger batch next year.
MAKE YOUR OWN STUFF!!
This fall I decided to try making vinegar.
This is part of my goal to be able to make more of what we eat from our own produce, and to teach people locally how to do this.
I know, I know, I just wrote a post about doing homesteading the way you want and not trying to do things just like a “real” homesteader. I still want to do that though. It’s not that I would necessarily rely on making our own vinegar all the time, but I think it’s important to be able to know how to do it.
That means we need to try to make it ourselves.
This fall we had an abundance of apples. I mean a LOT. So after we used up and froze as many as we could I decided it was a go on the vinegar.
I used chunks of apple, not fruit scraps, just because we had that many apples and we didn’t need to process any more whole ones. We cored and chopped enough to fill the jar we were going to use and put in a honey/water brine. I weighed down the apples with a regular drinking glass and a shooter glass inside that.
I tbubbled away for a little more than a week and started to smell like alcohol – the desired result of the first part of making vinegar.
I think I left it a little too long because the apples started to brown and some of the liquid evaporated from the jar. Below is the result of the this first part of the process. Here I am getting ready to filter the liquid through a linen cloth.
I thought it should be a bit clearer than it turned out, but it SMELLS right, so I’m going to keep going with it. This picture is the final liquid after the filtering.
I am storing it on a shelf in the corner of the kitchen out of the light in a glass casserole dish.
We’ll see what happens in a few months. Hopefully it won’t take too long. I’ll post an update when it is ready.
Happy Homesteading – however you do it!